Mirrordrum painted 1a
I guess this is how not to do a watercolor exercise. I would like to know how to take a photograph of a scene like this that I *could* turn into a painting.
I like this "painting" because of its colors and lines, but as a plain photo, it's blah.
How I Made the Painting
I did all the adjusting and whatnot. I merged my visibles.
I added my cutout layer at 6, 5 and 2 but I needed to keep some detail so set luminosity at 55%. That's where it particularly strays from the assignment. However, it's always good to venture forth. Not all odysseys involve physical travel. This course is so encouraging that way.
On the next layer I added filter>brush strokes>sprayed strokes. The settings were 11, 2, horizontal. The layer was set to hard light, 51%.
The third layer was filter>artistic>paint daubs with settings 13, 5, wide. This was set to hard light, 50%.
At this point the only bright color near the foreground was the green and yellow fire hydrant. So I added another layer and splopped on the two red dabs to the left. I thought the circular motion of that piece of metal in the right corner was bright enough and had enough intrinsic movement that any color there would overbalance it.
This left me with the colors you see except for the pavement which was tiresomely white. I therefore added another layer and slathered on some blue paint which was too blue. I therefore set that layer at 25% hard light. Nice thing about watercolor is you needn't be oh-so particular about applying paint. I didn't have to be meticulous on that last layer. In fact I wanted it to have a watery, slapdash look and I think it does a bit.
So there you have it. Oh, I flattened the image and unsharp masked it a bit: 68, .8 and 6.
I thought it was busy enough without texture.