I've been staring at a series of pictures of pots from a local nursery. I know there's a cheerful card in there somewhere but couldn't get it out. I think this has given me some possibilities.
I didn't want this to be over-the-top funky just, you know, lively. So here's what I did: Duplicate background, red channel: filter>stylize>find edges. Then on the same channel: filter>artistic>film grain at grain=2, highlight=8, intensity=1.
I really like it.
I found out in this exercise that I didn't get the most interesting funkiness using the best of the channels but rather the worst. Not sure why.
I also found that, as our goddess hath warned us, using a large file size can seriously mess w/ the results when you reduce and compress. This was a case in point. After spending a lot of time coming up with a horrid image when reduced, I reduced first and started over and came up with an image that's tolerable when compressed.