this is a screencap of the preceding image. it includes several layers that are turned off: a layer i didn't use and two layers that were added when the upper image didn't work. it's just a simple beginning blocking out of where images might go.
i've really just begun doing it this way since taking janee's p2art course and learning about merged visibles [mv] layers and getting better at adjustment layers.
i now set up the approximate form of the image, create a final, top mv layer and copy and paste that into a new document to which i apply filters. that way, i don't have an un manageable document if i find that the arrangement doesn't work. as you'll see, i can still go back to the original document and shift things around and then reapply filters.
i will probably eventually have multiple documents as i get better at this.
i can't imagine how i ever made wallpapers without mv layers.
you'll notice i also had a text layer at the top that i was going to use. although i really liked the font and style, i ultimately had to discard it. :(
at this point, in sum, this looks pretty much like nothing. however, let's not vie up just yet. sometimes you hit a dead end but i have a good feeling about this one.